It’s time for our weekly history post from the Historical Society of the Phoenixville Area. This week we learn about a local organization that has been assisting Phoenixville residents for over 140 years.
The Phoenix Hose, Hook and Ladder Fire Company No. 1 was incorporated in 1874 and has a long history in Phoenixville. This photo shows firefighters posed with their new horse-drawn pumper in front of their firehouse on Church Street, which was built in 1900. This building still houses their engines but looks a little smaller these days. They eventually purchased the Church Street School to the right and joined both buildings, as it currently stands today.